Front Page Forums Ideas Discussion Forum OverDrive Integration – Development

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Amy Terlaga
    Participant

Bibliomation is interested in having some development done that would allow for integration of OverDrive/RB Digital records into the Evergreen catalog through an API so that when search results were displayed you would also see the OverDrive results. Now that RBDigital is being folded into OverDrive, we will have to load a number of records in the near future, and this development would save us and other libraries the effort of doing that. The goal would be similar to the RBDigital development that PINES and Recorded Books sponsored: https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1772680. However, because RBDigital is going away, the development has stalled

I would love to see this project go forward and include a framework to allow for ease of set up with Axis360, Hoopla, Freading, CloudLibrary, etc.

I use the Chrome Extension called the Library Extension and I would love Evergreen to be able to accomplish something similar.
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/library-extension/chkgcmmjoejpekoegkedcpifgfhpjmec?hl=en

Jennifer
    PaILS/SPARK

Elizabeth Thomsen
    Participant

We would certainly like to get out of the business or adding, deleting and often resurrecting MARC records for OverDrive titles as they come and go.
    It looks like the PINES development was to display the records in a separate tab in search results, which means handling them differently from all the other ebook (and other e-resource) products they subscribe to individually — Hoopla, Kanopy, Films on Demand, EBSCO eBooks, etc. (OverDrive is the only thing we license for all NOBLE.) They like having patrons discover the ebooks when they are looking at the various editions — the book is out, the audiobook on CD is out but they see the ebook and decide to try it. I feel like keeping all those other e-resources in the main search results stream but moving OverDrive to a separate tab will make them less visible.

On the other hand, if the intent were to use the API to fetch the OverDrive records and interfile them into the regular search results, I’d be concerned about having this slow the catalog display down (we have speed issues already) or that it would result in “jumpiness” if the search results start loading and then the OverDrive titles come in late, so to speak.

Ruth Frasur
    Keymaster

We would need any development to be able to leverage multiple consortia/accounts for this to be useful in Indiana. The API as I’ve seen it so far would not support local contracts or multiple consortia.

Ruth Frasur
    Keymaster
    Ruth Frasur
    Keymaster
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.