Front Page Forums Ideas Discussion Forum Configure links for the staff client navigation menu

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Thomsen
    Participant

We would like to be able to add or remove links from the staff client navigation menus. For example, in our consortium, we want to add the following links to the Cataloging menu: Call Number Prefix, Call Number Suffix, Holding Template Editor, Shelving Locations Editor and Statistical Categories Editor — but other sites might make different choices.

We see this as having a similar interface for configuring these as the enhancement to configure the splash page described here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1938835

Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1970774

Benjamin Kalish
    Participant

I agree that it would be nice for these to be configurable, but it isn’t clear to me at what level the changes should be made. At the consortium level? At some lower level so that they could be changed for just one library or library group? Or maybe it should be customizable per workstation, per login, or per permission group.

Elizabeth Thomsen
    Participant

I guess I was being a little intentionally vague, leaving room for discussion. These issues of what should stick to what are always complicated. Background:in NOBLE, we added the links to the cataloging menu that I listed here, because we wanted to make it easy for people to find these cataloging related functions without going to the long list of unrelated (and in our case, often irrelevant) functions on Local Administration page. We’re trying to reduce the number of local customizations we maintain, in favor of customizations that can be set in the staff client.

I think for us, there are things we would want to set at the consortium level, as well as things set at the system or branch level and I am sure there are things that could be set at the workstation or user level, but to avoid over-complicating things, I’d recommend that this customization works on the org unit hierarchy, like the splash page customization in 3.9. Customizable Splash Page: LP# 1938835

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.